From Sennheiser, the AMBEO VR Microphone is designed to create sound for content that puts their audience in an immersive, 360° environment. The microphone has four audio channels built into it using its four KE 14 capsules. These capsules are placed in a certain way that allows for recording audio in a spherical method from the microphone. It results in proper surround sound using one microphone.
The science behind these principles is a bit arduous to lay out in the space provided for this description (indeed, multiple dissertations have been written about the Ambisonics format—developed by the British National Research Development Council in the 1970s); the principles are, however, of interest to the VR community, which utilize the technique to capture truly immerse aspects of any given sonic picture, giving you the left, right, bottom, top and center of the image in a way especially suited to the VR experience.
To help in working with the resulting audio in post-production, the microphone comes with a format encoder that will work in AU, AAX, VST, and standalone formats. Also included are a Rycote suspension mount, a split-cable designed to connect the microphone to four separate XLR terminations, and a windshield.
Capturing the VR Experience
Ambisonic Capsule Structure
Key Features at a Glance
- Single-point microphone for Virtual Reality content.
- 4 matched capsules in a tetrahedral cluster.
- Captures spherical, fully spatial audio in Ambisonics format.
- Well suited to work with 360°/VR video capture.
- Portable and rugged to meet the demands of various recording conditions.
Included Format Converter Software
- A-B format converter (for use in post-production).
- Available as a VST, AAX, and AU plugin for DAWs.
- Operable in standalone.
- Plug-in can correct the microphone's physical positioning and rotate its direction.
- Plug-in allows for different output standards, including YouTube 360 video.
- A to B format encoder included: VST, AAX, AU and standalone versions (for Mac and Windows).
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.