Sound Devices 664 - Rental
Sound Devices 664
12-Input 664 Field Production Mixer With 16-Track Recorder
The 664 was the first of the popular 6-Series mixer/recorders to be released. It has 12 analog inputs, four output buses, and records these 16 tracks to both CF and SD cards. This unprecedented amount of I/O connectivity and recording capability makes the 664 perfect for a wide range of production applications.
The 664 has six ultra-low noise, high-dynamic-range mic/line inputs. These transformer-less preamps offer analog peak limiters, high-pass filters, input trim controls, and direct outputs. Input connectors 1 and 6 can be selected to accept AES42 or AES3 digital signals. Six line-level inputs, 7 through 12, are available by reassigning direct outputs as inputs from the Input Setup Menu. With an attached CL-6 Controller, inputs 7-12 have dedicated fader control.
In complex, multi-camera productions, output flexibility is essential. The 664 offers three sets of balanced left/right outputs. Two additional output buses, X1 and X2, appear on balanced TA3 connectors. XLR and multi-pin outputs are selectable to AES3 digital.
The 664 can record all inputs and output buses, for 16 record tracks. Recordings are saved to CompactFlash and SD cards as either 16- or 24-bit Broadcast WAV files. Scene, take, track, notes, and time code metadata are recorded with the file. All popular production sampling rates are supported. MP3 recording is available for transcription applications.
Clear, fast, easy to navigate controls and interface. Important controls are on dedicated knobs and switches, while additional features are quickly accessed through the intuitive LCD-based menu control.
With the mixer’s built-in, rock-steady Ambient timecode generator, multiple devices can operate in synchronization. The 664 operates as either a timecode master clock or its clock can be jammed from external timecode. A helpful timecode compare utility shows the difference between internal and external timecode.
6-Series Gets a Wingman
Wingman, a wireless remote control option for the 6-Series mixer/recorder line, is a free application that, when paired with the required WM - Connect Bluetooth® Smart USB accessory, enables clear views of metering and timecode display on the larger screens of iOS and Android mobile devices. With Wingman, Sound Mixers can:
- View meters, timecode, and frame rate
- Start and stop recordings
- Arm, disarm, and name tracks
- Edit a take’s metadata
- Circle takes and set False takes
- Manage, create, and email sound reports
- 20 Hz to 50 kHz, ± 0.5 dB
0.09% max (50 kHz, +18 dBu at line out, fade fully up)Equivalent Input Noise
- -126 dBu (-128 dBV) maximum. (22 Hz - 22 kHz bandwidth, flat filter, trim control fully up)
- XLR Mic: active-balanced for use with ≤600 ohm mics, 4k ohm actual; 12V or 48V phantom power, 10 mA max
- XLR AES: AES3 or AES42 (10 V power), SRC
- XLR Line: active-balanced for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- TA3 Line (7-12): active-balanced for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 10k ohm actual
- RTN A,B,C (3.5 mm/10-pin): unbalanced stereo for use with ≤2k ohm outputs, 30k ohm actual
- XLR Mic: 0 dBu (0.78 Vrms)
- XLR Line: +40 dBu (80 Vrms)
- RTN A,B,C (3.5 mm/Multi-pin): +24 dBu (12.4 Vrms)
- Sweepable 80 Hz to 240 Hz, 12 dB/oct at 80 Hz, 6 dB/octave at 240 Hz
- Individual limiters on both trim and fader stages, +16 dBu threshold, 20:1 limiting ratio, 1 mS attack time, 500 mS release time
- Unbalanced stereo for linking to MixPre, 302, 442, 552, and 664; 2k ohm impedance
- Mic-In-to-Line-Out: 93 dB
- Mic-In-to-Aux-Out, -10 Out: 79 dB
- Line-In-to-Line-Out: 39 dB
- Line: transformer-balanced for use with >=600 ohm inputs, 100 ohms
- -10: transformer-balanced for use with >=10k ohm inputs, 3.2k ohm
- Mic: transformer-balanced for use with >=600 ohm inputs, 150 ohms
- TA3 Mic/Line: active-balanced, pin-2 and 3 driven, for use with >=3k ohm inputs, 1k ohm
- TA3 Direct Outs Mic/Line: active-balanced, pin-2 and 3 driven, use with >=3k ohm inputs, 1k ohm
- Tape Outs (3.5 mm and TA3-type): unbalanced, stereo, use with >=6k ohm input, 1.8k ohm actual
- Headphones (3.5 mm and 1/4"): unbalanced, stereo, use with 8-2k ohm headphones, 50 ohms
- (1% THD) 20 dBu minimum with 10k load
- Line: +20 dBu (7.8 Vrms)
- -10: +6 dBu (1.5 V rms)
- Mic: -20 dBu (0.078 Vrms)
- Tape Outs: +6 dBu (1.5 Vrms)
- Affects analog output. Threshold selectable from +4 dBu to +20 dBu, 1 dB steps, 20:1 limiting ratio, 1 mS attack time, 500 mS release time.
- 16 tracks (12 inputs, 4 output buses), monophonic or polyphonic Broadcast WAV or timecode-stamped MP3
- 24-bit, 114 dB, A-weighted dynamic range typical; 44.1 kHz, 47.952 kHz, 48 kHz, 48.048 kHz SR
- AES3 transformer-balanced, in pairs; 1-2 XLR-L, 3-4 XLR-R, 5-6, multi-pin 1, 7-8, multi-pin 2, 110 ohm, 2 V p-p, AES and S/PDIF compatible
- SDHC, SD, SDXC - exFAT for cards >32 GB, FAT32 for <32 GB; CompactFlash (CF) FAT32, will format memory cards in unit
- ± 0.2 ppm (0.5 frames per 24 hours)
- Modes Supported: off, Rec Run, Free Run, 24h Run, External
- Frame Rates: 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97DF, 29.97ND, 30DF, 30ND
- Accuracy: Ambient generator, 0.5 frame in 24 hr
- Time Code Input: 20k ohm impedance, 0.3 V - 3.0 V p-p (-17 dBu - +3 dBu)
- Time Code Output: 1k ohm impedance, 3.0V p-p (+12 dBu)
- Word In/Out: square wave; 10k/75 ohm, 1-5V p-p input; 75 ohm, 3.3V p-p output, at SR
- External: isolated 10-18 V on locking 4-pin Hirose connector, pin-4 = (+), pin-1 = (-).
- Internal: accepts five (5) NiMH, 1.5V Lithium, or Alkaline AA batteries. Note that run time will be very limited when using Alkaline batteries (30 minutes to one hour depending on settings). NiMH or Lithium batteries are the preferred type because of the approximate 2x to 4x run time compared to Alkalines.
- Operating: -20°C to 60°C, 0 to 90% relative humidity; (non-condensing) Storage: -40°C to 85°C
- Dimensions: 5.3 cm x 32 cm x 19.8 cm (H x W x D) 2.1" x 12.6" x 7.8"
- Weight: 4 lbs. 12 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)